CHARLIE-HELEN ROBINSON ON-AIR; ADELAIDE DRIVE TIME
With Michael Smyth
For online listeners; here’s my MP3 ABC Radio Segment Collection
Offline is the new luxury
Many say “get over it” meaning it must simply be our way of life now, however we can suffer fatigue or have times we need a break. But how? Aside from the obvious, like put your phone in silent and in your bag/pocket, here’s 3 ways:
- The Offline Glass – it’s designed that way: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1672850/this-cruel-glass-spills-your-beer-if-you-use-your-iphone
- Phones in the middle of the table: (Urban Dictionary) “Phone Stack” When at a meal, and everyone is on their phones, grab them and stack them face down in the center of the table. First to pick up their phone, pays the bill for all. If no one grabs it, everyone pays their part. OK OK it’s been around for ages – who’s actually doing it?
- Use Hooks – an app designed to send you notifications of things important to you, making sure you don’t miss anything! http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/04/hooks/
Facebook Logos (and Groups)
Seems everyone is getting a new logo design – and some have reached public notice. Aside from Facebook’s own slight tweak (we recently saw the Tumblr one as well), there is a new logo icon for Facebook Groups that’s got everyone talking: http://mashable.com/2015/07/08/facebook-icon-man-woman/ **The previous group icon positioned the woman behind the man’s left shoulder with what resembled a straight bob hair cut. The woman in the icon is now in the forefront with a different hairstyle (right). The man’s hair has also been softened and the shoulders have been smoothed down. The man’s hair has also been softened and the shoulders have been smoothed down. And these changes can also be seen in the redesigned Groups icon. It is not known when the icons were updated, but the thought process behind the changes has been explained by the design manager Caitlin Winner on Medium.
While we are talking groups – we could share 3 tips for groups:
- Share daily – if sharing from your personal profile the posts setting must be public. Encourage others to post and share.
- Add documents and notes for common information – like a document / knowledge resource.
- For Sale Features; Members can easily find items for sale, create For Sale posts, mark items as Sold and more. Admin setting
Watching some “niche” YouTube videos – have you seen?
It’s the New Screen Makers Conference in Adelaide this weekend. You may like to read this InDaily article as there is a nice summary about niche: http://indaily.com.au/arts-and-culture/2015/07/14/secrets-of-youtube-success/
But if we do crazy stuff when out in the public eye – we may find ourselves online without realising it – like urinating in the Czech public for example? They highlight you will end up on YouTube. Is public shaming a good thing? In this instance I get the humour, but be wary.
Privacy laws – photos from public places are free game
Evolution of Music – Pentatonix (33million views) – they have just released a new song – a Michael Jackson medley (link below). Get on it.
Wiki Notes: Pentatonix (often abbreviated as PTX) is an American a cappella group consisting of five vocalists originating from Arlington, Texas. Their work, which is mostly in the pop style, consists of covers of existing songs, sometimes in the form of medleys, along with some original material. Their music is defined by their own arrangement style, a strong presence of low bass vocals, and a diverse range of vocal percussion. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/23/pentatonix-michael-jackson-evolution_n_7645412.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment
That’s all folks…